Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, February 19, 2017

BOMs Away Monday - I'm baaaaack :)



Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!
We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of the post.
**Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts is helping me host this, right now,
so you'll find the link at her place today.**


Hello, there! If anybody still knows me, that is. ;D
It's been a mighty long time.

For the first time in eight months, I started back into my quilting work this week. June through December last year were spent sewing clothing and items for Heather and Pat's Renaissance theme wedding. Things were finished only because bridesmaids and out-of-state family joined in for a final-approach Sewing Bee. Here's a shot of most everyone in gear, minus the four parents:



Pat and Heather dressed back up again after their honeymoon to catch some shots for a Thank You card idea they had:


I'll put more photos up at some point. Our downstairs was filled with a line enabling construction, and upstairs was filled with folks sewing buttons, buttonholes, making hair wreaths, etc. It was quite exciting, but after the five weeks of seriously-impaired sleeping that I'd had, all the normal wedding planning stress involved, and the all-nighter that Scott and Marissa and Pat's sister, Sonya, pulled with me the night before the wedding, I had the worst Lupus flare I've ever had. It put me mostly in bed for the next 3 weeks, with a long and slow recovery, both physically and - in terms of interacting with my sewing machine - mentally. 

I used a Valentine's gift for Scott to make myself get back to quilting. I'm almost finished with that project (sigh - ended up having to wait for some thread to come in to finish the quilting). I'll share this very soon.

For today - here is the BOM project I pulled back out, and it's a perfect example of why I *love* the back-basting method so much:


That's the first panel for my Mexican Fiesta quilt, and after sitting folded in my tote bag for about a year, it was ready to go with no problems. No rusty pinned pieces, no too-dry glue gone all brittle or unadhesed or yellowed on the white background. . . Just basted pieces waiting to be trimmed and easily needle-turned. This weekend I made it to the central "tree" figure, finally!

It's a large block, as you can see by the pencil I laid on it for perspective:


Some day, it'll grow up into this quilt by Karen Kay Buckley:


For now, this is all I'm working on. I'll finish the cute raccoons for Scott's late Valentine, then finish the detail FMQ on the border of his retirement quilt. After that, I have a very fun commission quilt coming up that will be good to dive full-scale into creative work again.

Hope you're all well and enjoying your quilting times!

Don't forget that Kate is hosting BOMs Away today at
Katie Mae Quilts


5 comments:

  1. Wow! what an original and fun wedding-the costuming is fabulous. I love the applique you are working on. Glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are back. Your work has inspired me to finish some of my own very detailed quilt such as the Armaretta Cottage quilt. That was one hard quilt. I have finished three small blocks on the Fiesta Mexico and I am working on the same block that you are working on. After looking at your method of applique I watched videos and am also using the back basted method for this quilt. I am sorry you have been under the weather. Hope you stay strong and well now. Carolyn Knight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Carolyn - I tried to email you a note back, but it won't let me do that for folks who are registered as no-reply commenters. Hopefully you'll see it here. :)

    You're right about Amaretto Cottage being a lot of work. I remember that! And I know I'm going to absolutely adore Fiesta Mexico, but it's going to be an extremely long time before I get all that applique stitched up. I do love the hand-applique's look best of all, and I find it super relaxing to work on in the evenings while I watch a show with Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Lynette. What a fabulous wedding. How much work you did - WOW. So sorry about the Lupus episode. Hope you are feeling better now. Can you try to take it a bit more easy on yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun!!! So glad to see you back. You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.