Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

UFO finish Report - Tweedle Dee

I have two finishes from 3rd quarter that I haven't given posts to yet. This one is a UFO that was finished in July. "Tweedle Dee" is the dolphin on the right end:


It's from the McKenna Ryan Sea Breeze set of minis, and is about 16" square right now. When I have finished the last three of the nine, I'll get lessons on mounting them onto art frames, so they'll be more like 13" square at that point. For now, they're getting flat-finish edges instead of traditional binding, so there won't be that bulk on the back of the frames. 

When we lived in Florida, we had fun Caribbean blues in our home. The family room was a soft, refreshing sky blue, the Florida room had more turquoise, and the kitchen had that distinctive  - - well - - Caribbean - - kind of tealy-turquoise-blue. They all played so nicely together with the light sand-colored tile flooring and the blonde kitchen cabinets. 

Our Colorado house is very woodsy, and came with woodsy colors on the walls - a pale slightly-forest green on the main and bedroom levels, and a sandy color on the walk-out "basement" level. None of our coastal/beach decor works in the woods atmosphere on the upper levels, but some of it works quite nicely downstairs. That's the home of the exercise nook, my sewing area, the pool table, a long wall with half-height cubbies housing our vast DVD collection, and Scott's Man Cave (really the opposite corner from me). 

These quilts are looking really great along that wall above the DVD shelving! It's been empty all this time - a seventeen-foot unbroken stretch of sandy paint from the door to my stash storage room to the cue stick rack. I'm so happy to see them all getting finished and the magic they're working for the room.  :)

Oh! I see I'd actually mentioned him before, but I'm not fond of his close-up picture. Mounting him on the art frame will eliminate the waves in the outer sections, so those will be gone. I'm not sure about the wrinkles in his tail area, though.

He has a trapunto layer, but that wasn't enough to fill him out completely against the stiffness of the fusible. I use a lightweight product, but these minis were made before I started "gutting" the pieces of fusible stuff before ironing it to my constructino fabrics. It really makes a huge difference in the quilt's stiffness factor.

But I do love the silver metallic thread I used on his bubbles! It adds the perfect glint that you can only see in real life.



This is one of my Q3 Finish Along pieces (My goal post link)

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side









3 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful and I love seeing them when it's their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt. The soft colours and flowing lines of the dolphin give a real feeling of movement.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.